Tuesday, January 01, 2013

A New Years Day Prayer


O Lord God Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth and Lord of my life,

Length of days will not profit me
Except when the days are passed in Your presence, for Your service, and to Your glory.

Give me a grace that precedes, follows, guides, sustains
Sanctifies, and aids every hour

That I might not be one moment apart from You,
But may rely on Your Spirit
To supply every thought,
Speak every word,
Direct every step,
Prosper every work, and 

Build up every aspect of faith.

Give me a desire
To show forth Your praise,
Testify to Your love, and
Advance Your kingdom.

I launch my life on the unknown waters of this year,
With You, O Father, as my harbor,
You O Son, at my helm,
You O Holy Spirit, filling my sails.

Guide me to heaven with my hands ready to serve,
My lamp burning,
My ear open to Your calls, and
My heart full of love, my soul free.

Give me Your grace to sanctify me,
Your comforts to cheer me,
Your wisdom to teach,
Your right hand to guide,
Your counsel to instruct,
Your law to judge, and
Your presence to stabilize.

May Your fear* be my awe,
Your triumphs my joy.


In Jesus' name, Amen.
From: Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions

* "fear" is used in this prayer to mean "awesome respect" for God's person, power and majesty

No comments:

Share it