I have a friend who is in the process of developing a school to raise up new worship leaders in Northeast Ohio. He wanted some input.
Here's his question: "If you were starting a school for new worship leaders, what are the 5 top things you would want to make sure they learned?"
Our worship pastor at CVC, Brian Howell, and I responded to my friend with 7 ideas.
1. Emphasize the importance of worshipping in spirit and in truth (John 4:23).
2. Teach the necessity of humility (servant leadership).
3. Stress how personal worship/devotion is foundational for corporate worship.
4. Encourage the worship leader to follow the overall vision of the church enthusiastically.
5. Point out the need to submit to and support the lead pastor.
6. Show how a fidelity to the Word of God in choosing worship songs is indispensable.
7. Demonstrate the significance of unity on the worship team.
Question: What else would you teach worship leaders?